In Billing engine section we describe the difference between Recurring and Prepaid billing of the customer. Let's start with financial dashboard that shows us information about Splynx financial status:
- Debit transactions
- Paid Invoices
- Unpaid invoices
In particular, it shows the current month and last month statistics.
1. Recurring billing engine
Recurring billing is the best solution for ISP charging customer a fixed price on a recurring basis typically at the beginning of the billing cycle. Recurring type of billing is set by default in Splynx global configuration.
You can set up recurring type of the payment for a customer in Customer Information section (Customers → View) by clicking on Type of billing option and choosing Recurring payments as a type of billing.
- Recurring Invoices can be issued every month in advance (Prepay) or in Postpay Mode. One month in advance means, for example, that 1st of May Splynx will generate invoices for 1-31 of May. Postpay means that Splynx generates invoices on 1st of May for the period of 1-30 of April. You can set up Prepay or Postpay mode of recurring payments in Customers →View→Billing→Billing overview. In Billing settings click on Period and choose Postpay or Prepay mode with options to pay up to 5 months in advance.
- Choose a Payment Method for recurring payment, such as Cash, Bank Transfer, Credit Card, PayPal, Refill Card, BrainTree and others.
- The next step of setting up Recurring payments will be to choose the Billing day and Billing due day. Billing day is a day of Invoice generating. Billing due day is the last day when customer have to make a payment before get blocked. In our example we choose 1st day of the month as a billing day and 15th day of the month as Billing due day, which means that Invoice will be generated on 1st day of the month and if customer don't make a payment until 15th day of the month, the next day he will be in blocked status. Even though customer will have blocked status, his services will be still accounted.
- You can choose a Grace period - time when customer will have inactive status. In our example it will be 10 days, which means after 10th day customer's status will be automatically changed for inactive and his services won't be accounting.
- Minimal balance defines the customer balance in Recurring payment and is set by default to "0" in Global configuration, but it it possible to set it up here individually for a customer.
2. Prepaid billing engine
Prepaid billing is used when ISP charges customer in advance and provide him access for certain period of time. When balance of the customer reaches set limit, he is disconnected.
To set up Prepaid type of billing we need to change the billing type of customer to Prepaid.
- The next step is to choose Payment method, such as Cash, Bank Transfer, Credit Card, PayPal, Refill Card, BrainTree and others.
- Then we define what is the value of customer’s balance when Splynx will block his access to internet. By default it is set to “0”, but it can be changed in configuration of each customer inside of the field “Minimal balance”.
- After setting up type “Prepaid”, we need to add a payment to customer’s account by clicking on Add payment button in Customer →Billing →Payment. For example, 20 USD has been added.
The deposit of the customer changed to 20 USD.
- Let’s, for example, add a service of 5 Mbps for 40 USD/month. Splynx calculates the daily rate of the plan and charges user every day. There are 30 days in October, so daily rate will be 1,33 USD. Tomorrow balance of the customer will be changed from 40 USD to 38,66 USD and will continue decreasing every day according to his plan.
In this particular situation, when customer has 20$ on a deposit, he will get access for 15 days. Then he will reach “0” on his balance and Splynx will block him.
If we will check the deposit of the customer the next day, it will be reduced based on the daily fee:
Also one transaction has been added, which shows how much we charged. This transaction is updated every day and it shows the total amount of money that has been taken from customer’s deposit.
- If option Make invoices (after to charge) is enabled, Splynx will generate an invoice for consumed services on a first day of the next month.